Expensive phones - do you buy them?

I don’t agree on a phone being a good device for reading books, the screen is too small, phone/tablet screens are especially bad for reading late in the evening (disrupts your sleep quality quite heavily, even when using blue filter, etc.) and there are too many distractions (let’s quickly check the newest tweet from Elon, ending up watching cat videos 2 hours later :laughing:). Of course everyone is different, but for most people I wouldn’t recommend reading on a phone.

Learning languages, on this one I can agree.

Got an outdated Samsung Galaxy A52s with 128 GB memory about a year ago for CHF 450.-. It’s still going strong, is updated regularly, takes nice pics and has plenty of space for more apps.

I don’t see myself spending CHF 1000+ for something than can break, get stolen or be lost so easily.

2 Likes

I keep my Smartphone (Android) for around 4 years (as long as security updates are available) then buy a new one around CH 500-680 model. The goal is to find a Smartphone that has most features a premium smartphone would offer but that has a reasonable pricing. I’ve opted for OnePlus phones for this reason for quite some time. 1000+ seems excessive, although the recent OnePlus Open Smartphone does look tempting with its bigger screen :wink:

That’s the same model I got back in 2021 from digitec for 349 Fr. The good thing is when I started running out of storage, I could buy a microsd card and plug it in at a much lower cost of buying a phone with greater capacity.

I saw a later version A53 5G for <300 Fr. on digitec.

For me the best and the range that I am always going is middle range (200-400 CHF). But my wife goes ~1000.

My choice is because the mobile will stay with me between a maximum 2-5 years, due to not caring match of my belongings, normally my kids destroy it. Last one went down from a 3rd floor, and magically survive but the frame (not the glass) was moved so next drop glass broken…

My wife takes care much and the mobile normally survive at least 6 years.

I am in the “get last (1/2) year’s flagship phone” camp, every cca 3 years.
Mostly for improved cameras and battery life.
Unfortunately the X in “Never spend more than X on a phone” rule has been slowly crawling up in the past couple of years, but so far X<500chf remained.
Currently on Pixel 7.

For iPhones FB Marketplace is the thing to do - people in CH/ZH just change stuff too often. :sweat_smile:

I used to buy one of the cheapest options (like Xiaomi, etc), but a few years ago I got myself a Google Pixel 4a and I’m happy with it. If that one breaks, I think I’ll buy another Google Pixel. I’d switch to an iPhone but I hate spending money - maybe I’m gonna consider a used one, I don’t know yet.

PS. I actually planned to switch to a smartwatch (e.g. Google Pixel Watch) with eSIM (so that I can stop carrying around my phone to make/receive calls), but Salt doesn’t support sharing eSIM cards between devices (yet).

I dropped my silicone case-protected 3rd-gen (2022 model) iPhone SE on the floor yesterday. No external damages, touchscreen partly dead, device is a write-off :roll_eyes:

Going back to my trusty 1st-gen (128GB 2016/2017 model) iPhone SE until it dies. Not sure what I’ll do then.

I liked the updates and clean android of pixel, but i stopped buying them as they all developed faults. I’d bought 3 within a short space of time as I’d bought some for my parents too. they happened to be different models, but all made by LG (IIRC).

• Mic stopped working on my mum’s phone
  • proxmity sensor failed on mine (which made it impossible to answer calls as it thinks you ear is on the phone and it turns off the screen)

That’s why I switched to Samsung and got the A52.

Yes, back when I bought, clean/vanilla Android was my main motivation - I didn’t have any issues with mine, frankly speaking, but maybe I was lucky.

I think one can have a very healthy relation to their phone (e.g., not use social media at all) and still notice that it is the single most used thing around them, possibly only rivalled by a computer or some other equipment used for work or the bed. I personally use it for:

• navigation
  • buying tram/train tickets
  • translation
  • occasional browsing
  • calls/messages
  • banking
  • investments
  • photography/selection/editing
  • listening to audiobooks/podcasts/youtube
  • pay in stores
  • take notes/journaling
  • play music
  • control my smart home devices

and I probably forget something.

2 Likes

Even using the phone 1hr/day, I would still consider this a considerable amount of time only overpassed by work equipemnt like computer, computer screens etc.

This made me check my phone usage:

• Average 55 minutes per day
  • This week top 3:
    • 2h48m Facebook
    • 48m IBKR
    • 48m Chess game

I’m glad I did. Now I see I’m spending way too much time on Facebook - even if a lot of it is for certain facebook groups related to hobbies. Now I set timers to limit FB and Chrome to 10 minutes per day.

1 Like

I just checked and of this 60 minutes, around 40 minutes are spent on calls and messages, 5 for buying train tickets and paying bills with QR code, 10 min for browsing the web and 5 min misc stuff. Nothing for which I need to spend 1000+ on a new phone

1 Like

Why do you spend so much time on IBKR?

I check portfolio every day, re-investing dividends and actively investing. e.g. today, even though I have no ‘real’ trades to make, I have to sell some bills to maintain cash levels supporting a short position.

It’s not just this. The main issue that nags me are all these authentication apps installed on my phone, easily few dozen. If I have to reactivate all that stuff on another phone, especially if the current one is dead, this is a considerable effort. Therefore I want my mobile phone to stay alive as long as possible, or at least don’t die suddenly.

My strategy is somewhat opposite to the one outlined above:

• I never buy used smartphones, only brand new ones.
  • Produced by the less hyped companies. No Apple, no Samsung.
  • The newest or almost newest type, positioned upper-middle in the range of features, not by specs.

Feature-wise this usually corresponds to the smartphones of top brands released 1-2 years ago.

• Top specs for the model. Max memory (RAM) especially.
  • High battery capacity.
  • Connectivity features to substitute for less features. Internal SD card slot, audio jack are must.
  • Maximum mechanical stability. Metal frame preferably, mechanically resistant glass.
  • Dust and water (at least splash) resistivity.
  • I also always add a case and a protecting glass.
  • Size that let it fit into the pocket. Not necessarily mini, but definitely not the biggest ones. This already excludes the most expensive models.
  • (I think I have mentioned everything important)

I have screened smartphones intensively using the website gsmarena.com

Works for me. I have used my previous smartphone for almost 4 years before it’s battery died. Ok, it was Samsung, but they were not that hyped then and otherwise the approach was the same.

Before that I don’t remember exactly and can’t find information what had I used then.

Another point is to clean it up from the beginning, remove all kinds of garbage apps installed. There are guides for it.

What for? I can’t remember the last time I wanted to plug a jack or an SD card to a phone, since everything these days is bluetooth/wifi.

Also, won’t those above conflict with your requirement of water resistance?

I’ve meant an internal one, that is always there.

Seems to be not.

It’s not the resistance against a prolonged submersion, but against splashes and such. With an IP certificate. Otherwise there is all kinds of garbage being sold.

Did anyone got a Fairphone ? Apparently the technical specs are not that bad anymore, and you can repair/exchange every component, which for me would be the economical and ecological choice.