Escaping Switzerland for a tax-free nomad lifestyle

An interesting consideration with regards to health insurance is that as a Swiss citizen, you have the right to return to Switzerland any time, and the right and obligation to get insured with mandatory health insurance when you do - regardless of preexisting conditions.

Effectively, this means you are de facto insured by Swiss mandatory health insurance. All you have to do in the unfortunate event of your becoming seriously ill is return to Switzerland.

Of course, it depends on why you need health insurance. If it’s to cover unexpected medical emergencies, then you do need to think about insuring or self-insuring against that scenario. But if insurance to you is primarily a safeguard against serious, longer-term illnesses which allow for a return to Switzerland, then being Swiss, you have that already.

2 Likes

It’s even “better”. Some insurances, if they don’t want to pay for treatments, they will pay for carrying you back to your home country.

If I ever want to do what the OP is trying, I will try to keep my swiss health insurance and sail away into the abyss, until then I need to wait till I become Swiss haha