Employment insurance benefits after quitting, your experience?

The good thing is that you don’t have to accept every salary. So if you earned pretty well that 90% of the companies wouldn’t even be able/willing to pay 80% of your last salary then you won’t get many offers.

2 Likes

Its still a dick move…

3 Likes

Not judging your motives on abusing (IMHO) the system and claiming two years of RAV to top your FIRE savings up… but I for one am glad that the system allows for people to quit a job they can’t stand (or that’s making them sick) and still get a year or two of runway (minus a month or two of penalty) to find a better job for themselves. I don’t know of any other country that does that. Anywhere else, you quit = no benefits for you, end of story. And in many other countries, you’re lucky to get 50% of minimum wage (regardless of your previous salary) after being laid off. The Swiss RAV system is pretty generous, and I really appreciate it.

12 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly.

Questions for the audience:

1. How does the RAV know whether you got an offer or not, following the interviews?
  2. Can one reject the offer for any other reason than salary (e.g. company fit, travel requirements, etc.)?

My understanding is that they can spot check the companies you reportedly have applied to and listed in your monthly report.

Grounds for refusing become less and less flexible as time goes on, and iirc it goes all the way to defining an acceptable job as 4h or less return commute from you, 60% of your former salary, and below your last job in terms of skills or responsibilities. But that’s not before being unemployed for a while. I’m sure it’s laid out somewhere in German but I don’t know where and I don’t speak German. You can ask all this to your RAV advisor though, they know.

1 Like

This would clearly be fraud. The employer or the employer’s insurance could come after you, and for good reason.

3 Likes

Well sure, morals aside anything is possible and the world is your oyster I guess…

Just a reminder for employers reading this that some people (most of them?) are really affected by burnout due to their working circumstances or their perception of them. It comes gradually but the breaking point is sudden, it is a real problem with real solutions and is worth addressing when it shows up in the workplace.

11 Likes

As a small business owner, I would like to remind you that you can ruin someone like me by doing that.

It happened to me and I had luckily a good year when that happened, and the employee was only part time. But that is still 20k that I am not getting back.

If you’re being treated like shit, ok, go for it. But if it’s just a difference in opinion, just think about if your employer really deserves this kind of behaviour.

10 Likes

I guess “you have to take it” means “you have to take it otherwise the benefits stopped coming”.

1 Like

Don’t you have insurance for that? If your employee is on medical leave, I thought the “Krankentaggeld” would pay for that. But maybe that is not mandatory for small businesses?

1 Like

Man that sucks. Could you elaborate a bit more? I always thought the benefits were not paid out of pocket by the employer but rather by some insurance instead, but I don’t have any insight. Would be curious to know more.

Often there is some Selbstbehalt involved, especially in the smaller companies who want to save on premium.

I do have insurance, but it only covers part of the cost.
You get 80 % of the gross salary and the employee gets also only 80 %.

But you still have to pay the social security contributions and pension fund for 100 %.

• In my case, my Krankentaggeldversicherung (KTG) covers up to 3 months, first month goes on my cost. For microbusinesses like mine it is often not possible to get better insurance at a reasonable cost.
  • During those three months you cannot terminate the employee. After the medical leave you still have to pay the full salary up to the end of the contract with holidays and overtime, which can add up to 4 months depending on termination period.
  • After that “illness” my KTG doubled my premiums and the insurance broker told me I’d have to swallow it or live without this insurance.
3 Likes

Where’s the “I’m fucking angry” smiley when you need it?

Thanks @yetanothername for sharing your experiences. Very much appreciated!

1 Like