Electricity prices in 2023

Damn it. For me it will be an increase from 0.19/kWh to 0.35/kWh next year (+83%). But yeah, some are even worse off than that.

Whats your take on this?

3 Likes

My take is that finally there is a financial incentive to save energy.

15 Likes

Thaks for linking this article! For me it will not be such an extreme increase (around 25%) as yours, however our house has a heat pump which uses electricity, so the bill will be quite a bit higher, but still better than heating with oil or gas.

The elcom itself has a nice tool online to di some comparison. www.strompreise.elcom.admin.ch

Working in a very energy dependent industry my take is that several network operators didn‘t do their job properly. They felt safe because of the last years and didn‘t had a proper procurement strategy in place (e.g. buying 1/12 every quartal starting at Y-3).

If you are affected by high rises in energy prices it could be interesting to talk to your network operator about his procurement strategy.

5 Likes

It will be very interesting to see also the impact on the PV energy and hence the final price to be payed. Thanks to our PV we usually have a annual spend of 700-1000 CHF for a house including heat pump. Will keep you posted

1 Like

I haven’t seen any price increase on SIG in Geneva area.

My main concern will be more on the gas consumption for heating and hot water in my building.
Electricity is 1/15th of the heating cost.

I find it crazy that there is no meter for hot water consumption or heating.
It doesn’t help habitants to be mindful in their heating habits.

1 Like

SIG will raise prices by about 23%.

I haven’t seen any price increase on SIG in Geneva area.

Electricity prices in 2023

1 Like

As a private individual, you don’t have a lot of options. The market is a monopoly. Moreover, if you rent a flat which uses a lot of energy (bad isolation, etc), you are action is limited, except leave.

What I find quite funny, it’s all the companies using a lot of energy complaining and requesting help.
They played and they lost. If they had good procurement, they would have secured electricity at a low price.

I wonder how EU’s merit order principle is affecting Switzerland’s electricity prices. It’s when the kWh price is fixed based on the most expensive power source at a particular moment.

As the highest price is also awarded to the producers of cheap electricity, there could be an interesting investment angle, as they are making a lot of money while this specific rule exists.

I am looking forward to people complaining about the extra CHF 15 they will pay each month while drinking a CHF 7 starbucks coffee :joy:

5 Likes

Well our electricity bill will increase from CHF 60 to CHF 110.

3 Likes

Is it your monthly cost ?
On my end, it is 170 chf by year for 2 persons in a 60 square meter.
I spend the same monthly amount for heating and hot water.

That is crazy low! We usually spend around CHF 60 per month. 2 person, 3.5 room 115 m2 apartment with floor heating.

135 CHF full year 2021. 1 person, 35m2. Anyone beat that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

51 posts were split to a new topic: Our energy consumption

EWZ in ZĂŒrich almost didn’t change prices. The not-so-natural econatur product is even cheaper now (wow!). So all in all, not too worried.

Does anyone know how much electricity prices will rise on the free market? I.e. where energy intense firms buy their electricity
?

they buy it pre-booked from their local provider, just like anyone else.
EWZ in ZĂŒrich even has a category for them above 50k kWh per year.

If you’re looking for massively consuming businesses like a heat plant or an iron factory, then the answer is I’ve no clue :smiley:

1 Like

A wastewater treatment plant near the one I am working on and which chose to go to the free market (it is not an obligation, they can stay in the Grundversorgung) had its electricity up by more than 100%. They pay more than double than we do (which will soon nil the gain in the last years when they moved to free market).

4 Likes

They buy it from energy producers or energy traders, same as your local provider will do it (in CH we have many local providers without own production).

Usually the local providers (should) start buying their need 3 years ahead. eg 1/12 every quartal starting 3 years ahead.

Same could been done by big consumer in the free market. But since energy prices have been done for long time many of them underestimated the risk and went with annual contracts.

On the exchange its normal to buy energy 3 years ahead. Dont know any free sources with price indications though. Maybe this link will help you:

Buying now a certain baseload for the next years prices are approx as follows (CHF/MWh)

2023: 552.00
2024: 252.00
2025: 195.00

4 Likes