Current mortgage rates and conditions

One suggestion: don’t get paralysis by over analysis.

We can’t predict the future, we just need to carry on. Looking back on, you will always find a better way to do things but the risk here is that you are paralyzed by too many ideas and debates that you risk losing the boat. Ultimately, a small percentage difference in interest rate is not going to change the world.

I have a friend of mine that he was unsure whether to buy a new car diesel or petrol and he debated about consumption, usage, gas prices and etc. 8 years forward he hasn’t change car yet. While mustachian, he was paralyzed, now he is thinking into eletric cat directly :-). One day he will be left without car and rush into buy one at less optimal price :slight_smile:

If you are concerned about the extreme, cut in the middle with 5y fixed mortgage and in 2028 you will have learnt more about property market in CH and mortgage and perhaps change strategy, either Saron or longer fixed duration.

3 Likes

Hi! Does anyone know how to find the rates and their graph?
I use Swissquote (bonds > interest rates) but I don’t see any graph.
Is there an existing symbol (for Google Finance, Apple Stocks App or Swissquote Analysis Tool)?

1 Like

Which rates you are talking about? SARON you can find in internet (I did once), but I don’t think there is a corresponding data stream for financial software. Yield of reference bonds with various maturity should be possible to find for CH, US, UK, Japan, Germany, other European countries.

The SNB website is the easiest:
https://www.snb.ch/en/iabout/stat/statrep/id/current_interest_exchange_rates#t2

You may also check SIX site for overnight and compound rates. Just note that they are only available as csv datasets. If you want charts, you’ll have to play with excel…
https://www.six-group.com/exchanges/indices/data_centre/swiss_reference_rates/compound_rates_en.html

1 Like

Thanks Dr.PI and Stef!

I found CHFIRS10Y and CHFIRS5Y

Is this the right reference?

Then I compare it with the bank rates (2.03% 5Y at VIAC) and note the difference…

1 Like

Not sure this is the right info.

Hmm?

You should rather compare with fixed medium term notes, I would say:

1 Like

Does anyone know you the 10%+10% work on the downpayment for buying?

What is your specific question?

I’ve seen some news in 2022 that Migros Bank had a mortgage option where you would only need to put down 10% of the house price and the other 10% would be some sort of repayable loan over 5-10 years…

But then I have not seen any specific example of people that actually used it.

Even if you think that “if you don’t have the 20% then don’t buy” - it can be financially interesting considering the situation

You mean Cactous by Migros Bank. The last news I have is that this was not approved by an authority.
But there are other investors, which are offering such a set-up.

Nevertheless, you can set up the purchase contract in that way, that you pay 10% and the remaining amount is flowing to the seller as a rent. So, no need for a special institution who is probably going to rip you off with the interest rates because of “higher risks”.

Fascinating discussion here.

My question: did anyone use valuu.ch for their mortgage? It seems quite attractive, unless I am mistaken.

For example, today, I check the SARON rate at the SNB website and I see that it’s 1.42%.
When I look up valuu’s SARON rates, it says “from 1.72%”, so is their margin really only 30 basis points, or are those rates not really available?

Challenge them :wink:

I bet CHF 10’000 you do not get 0.30% margin. If you are willing to transfer a substantial amount of net new assets having a fantastic starting position, you won’t be below 0.50%.

If you have something for 0.60%, take the offer.

3 Likes

Yes, I used them for my mortgage. I did not get the advertised rate, but a good offer (0.65% for 5 years, ~2 years ago). However, this offer was also available over the website of the provider. I chose them because they had a promotion with a 3,000 Fr. cash bonus on top, which was nice.

I used it earlier this year but never launched the final step. It’s a really useful tool for following the market on a day-to-day basis and a great way to know what rates to expect. You may test different collateral/amortization scenarios and get instant feedback, or perhaps use those data as a reference for negotiating with your preferred bank or partner.

As for the offers, some were highly competitive. Their partner “Caisse de pension de la poste (Post Pensionkasse?)” had the best overall conditions in the 2-5 years range.

However, it’s important to note that offers displayed on Valuu are not 100% guaranteed deals. Your selected financial institution will review your file and might refuse or amend their proposal.

2 Likes

I used it and the plateform is amazing. Very clear with instant offer. Best rates depend on your personnal conditions and the region you live. Some lenders does not operate in the whole country.

Signed 0.71% for 5 years in February 2022!

They have a referral program, i am happy to share :smirk: pm me!

2 Likes

Rates is binding. If you enter true data in their plateform there is no reason that they amend something.

These are real rates, but you have to be in the good region where the lender with 1.71% saron is lending.

@Ardius

While I agree that you are way more likely to get the displayed rates on Valuu than on any other comparison site such as moneyland or comparis, there is no guarantee.

• The FAQ says that the lender is free to refuse your file for any reason, not limited to incorrect data.
  • Their advisor explicitly told me that lenders can ask you for additional collateral or make a counter proposal
  • User reviews seem to confirm that success rate isn’t 100%

A 0.30% margin seems extremely low. I would ask them to confirm that their rates are based on the overnight Saron value, not some of the other n-months compound values.

2 Likes

If you do find out it’s as true offer, I’d be super interested but it’s too good to be true.

1 Like

Unless he is not an institutional client or the provider stupid as hell (it doesn’t even cover the costs), he won’t get a 0.3% margin.