Current cheapest day-to-day banking/credit card combination

It is worth it right away in my opinion.

You buy into the co-up for as little as 200 CHF (max. 10k CHF).

• they pay you 2-2.5% on the invested money
  • bank account for free
  • first year Maestro is for free (then you can cancel and use only Revolut/Transferwise for ATMs and free CCs for payments in Switzerland)
  • if you decide so, you can sell your co-op participation back to the bank
1 Like

Not that I like Viseca cards (bad FX, bad fidelity program), but a word about banking with BCV if you are into joint accounts: they now offer a “BCV Famille” package where if you hold CHF15k with them you get everything for free: accounts (joint and individual), Maestro cards and Viseca Silver credit cards. Those 15k can be distributed among all the accounts the “family” members hold.

If by any chance your rental guarantee is already with them that also counts towards the 15k.

There you go. Just trying to help. I’m new here.

7 Likes

Hi everyone,

If you are interested, I analysed my debit/credit card statement to know how much I can save on fees when I’m traveling. You can find the article over there https://medium.com/@luethistephane/how-much-does-it-cost-to-use-your-debit-credit-card-abroad-cfd503915cd.

Hope that give you a small glance :wink:

Thanks for the write-up.
The post could use a bit of language checking though.

I am now taking steps to moving to Neon as my primary account.

I originally wanted to hold out for e-Bill support, still due on their roadmap for this year. But starting a new job next month, I’ve taken the opportunity to give my Neon account details as a salary account to receive my monthly salary from my new employer.

UBS’ online banking seems more comprehensive and powerful, but I…

1. …hardly use a fraction of that functionality
  2. …mainly use third-party providers for credit card, foreign transfers/currency exchange and investing
  3. …prefer mobile banking, where Neon seems more convenient (though less secure)

don’t forget to use the code “mustachian”

We‘re also looking for a joint account, preferably with none to low fees. Both of us have currently a separate account with UBS and now we‘re looking for a joint one.
While we‘re more or less happy with UBS (despite the 10month/fee), I would prefer something like ZAK or NEON, as we would mainly pay our bills (no eBill is fine). We use Revolut and 3rd party credit cards, so the joint account doesn‘t need to include credit cards.
We don‘t want to switch completely to Revolut due to the adverse news with phishing, scams etc.

We live in the Zurich area, so UBS, CS, ZKB etc. would be close, but their high fees make it uninteresting.

Happy&thankful for any inputs!

UBS Family for 15CHF/month wouldn’t be interesting? All accounts and cards included.

UBS family is only CHF 15/month if you have „family assets“ of 10k with the bank.
Somebody quote above that 10k just laying around equals CHF 40/months.
I wouldn‘t rule out UBS completely, but i assume there might be better offers.

Somewhere on this forum I suggested Raiffeisen. You have to have at least 5000k to get the special account and the Maestro costs 40chf per year. If you don’t use the Maestro card you can skip it, but you will lose the membership on the Raiffeisen member plus with their huge discounts on free time acitvities and the free museums.

Having recently moved my primary salary account to Neon, I still have my…

UBS account for CHF 3.00/Month, including VISA credit card (24 cc transactions/year for waiver of the card fees, electronic documents and 10k CHF in a 3a account to fulfill the 10k of assets requirement for lower monthly account fees).

Which UBS account/package goes as low as CHF 3/month? I couldnˋt find one that cheap.

https://www.bcv.ch/de/Personal-Banking/Produkte/All-in-one-banking-packs/Family-Direct-banking-pack

I am with BCV and the only fee I pay is if I withdraw at an ATM which is not from a Kantonalbank. At the moment I withdraw arou once every 2-3 months so my fees are under chf 1/month

Downsides:
-no real 2nd factor (same as neon, zak, revolut and many more)
-you can’t just walk into a bank (same as zak, neon, and many more to come). However I can only imagine one scenario for this to be needed.

1 Like

I would stay away from UBS just for the simple fact that you don’t find their prices that easily.

I remember that time almost 10 years ago (or more?) when I was talking with an UBS advisor on his office and I took out a pdf with the prices I got from internet. Once he saw it, he asked me to photocopy it.
:man_facepalming:

That would be a risk-free interest rate of 4%, where can you get that on CHF?

And really, not even 10k emergency fund? (Nevermind saving up for end-of-year taxes.)

Personally I’m OK with the CHF 5/month I pay for PF. The cheaper alternatives all look complicated or too new to trust, and it’s not a big deal when I know the rest of my money is invested well.

UBS personal account (standalone, 10k+ balance and E-documents)
Basic credit card (free with 24 transactions a month. Easily reached within first month)

I could use another credit card, but liked having a free card and service from my bank, at least as a backup.
Also, I don‘t have a V Pay. I‘m charging as much of my expenses as I can on my credit cards. I can use Revolut (or Neon) for the occasional cash withdrawal or if I need a Maestro card, Within Switzerland though, I don’t need Maestro/V Pay at all, and hardly need any cash.

I don‘t know about 10 years ago. But I honestly can’t see what should be wrong with finding their pricing?!?

Their services and prices PDF as well as their individual standalone product „factsheet“ PDFs are quite concise and easily available on their website.

Exchange rates could be a different thing - but which Swiss bank, if any, is upfront and transparent about them…?

1 Like

Nice combo! Can’t get cheaper than that I guess.

It can always get cheaper :slight_smile:

Migrosbank is completely free if you have at least 7’500CHF on your account.
Even the Maestro card is free.

For credit cards, you can use Revolut (free VISA) and DKB (VISA - also free, €-account though).
Costs = 0

1 Like

How do you charge Revolut in CHF instantly?

What do you mean by “istantly” ?
Topping up with another CC should be immediate. Bank transfer is taking one working day for me using PostFinance.

1 Like