CS, UBS vs the rest

Dissapointing, but not surprising…

1 Like

Don’t forget the shareholders

Alas, significantly more than on shareholder dividends has been spent on legal (fees and fines) in the last decade. :disappointed:

"Insgesamt haben die beiden Banken (UBS & CS) seit den Jahresabschlüssen 2010 gut 27 Milliarden Franken für Rechtsfälle zurückgestellt."

In international banking, that‘s just a cost of doing business. :wink:

2 Likes

Was about to say that :stuck_out_tongue:

Btw, if you read the article, UBS did provision 13.6 BCHF over 11 years for legal costs, and already dissolved 1.6 BCHF of this total. That makes 1.1 BCHF/y (future dissolutions not accounted for)

In 2021 UBS paid 1.7 billion CHF in dividends (if I got the numbers right, but that should be the ballpark number), so actually still more dividends than legel fees.

Speaking of UBS and CS, it seems that today is a big day for our two big banks:

I had exactly the same thought… From what I understand, it is no longer mandatory to hold 10K CHF in an account (which is already a good thing), but I don’t see any real added value compared to the UBS.me package…

To be seen in the future, still an immature product in my opinion…

Yeah, I was intrigued as well, especially since they got the part with exchange rates almost right, Mastercard rates plus 0.5%, so not quite Neon / Revolut / Wise, but closer than anyone else. But then, 8 CHF per month. What’s the point of this offering?

1 Like

Come on! Even CS is able to provide a package for 0.- …

The shareholders are too greedy…

1 Like

Better than Yuh, worse than CSX, Neon, Revolut and Wise.

8 CHF / months :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

1 Like

To be fair, UBS me (with >10k) costs CHF 8 in the digital version but if you want paper documents, you actually pay CHF 13. I.e. there is a reduction of CHF 5 a month for the digital version, you just don’t save anything by switching from UBS me digital to key4.

The main advantage of key4 seems to be the key4 prepaid card with lower fees. If you want that with UBS me you pay CHF 4 extra. However, it seems ridiculous that it’s a prepaid card (not regular debit card, you have to explicitly load the prepaid card with money). And the key4 package also includes a Mastercard Debit, which still has the terrible UBS exchange rate and fees. A key4 Mastercard Debit with the reduced fees would make much more sense.

Doesn’t the CSX card use the usual bad CS exchange rate, about 1.7% above mid-rate? I.e. much worse than key4?

1 Like

Is it possible that they changed it? It’s been a while since I didn’t take any information about CSX, last time it was advertised about Mastercard FX rates.

As I don’t use their services, maybe @Patron could help us about it?

Credit Suisse is advertising their great customer service with real people, so I just called them and did indeed speak with a real person, and with basically no waiting time.

They are using Credit Suisse exchange rates with no extra surcharge on top. Trick is here that the CS rates are mediocre, basically what HZ found out in their test, about 1.7% effective overall surcharge on inter bank rates. Much better than most, but worse than Yuh (which I think is 0.95%, not basically 0, as in HZ), Neon, Wise & Revolut. Also now worse than UBS at 0.5%, if you are ignoring the unattractive account fees…

I am not aware of that ever being mandatory with UBS?

Since CSX charges their in-house FX rates, I really doubt that they’re better than Mastercard + 0.5%.

EDIT: Whoops, couple of people beat me to it.

1 Like

Good to know ! I thought that they used the mastercard exchange rate.

Yes, sorry for the confusion, it was implicitly intended as Patron say…

Account fees : 8.-/m with >=10K into account, otherwise 13.-/m.