Confused about the new law and US ETFs. Will IB still let me buy them?

… idk how you declare your taxes… :thinking:

I declare the tax value per 31.12. of each position. Transactions like buying/selling* of stocks or exercising of options are not reflected in my tax returns (at least in my canton).

*selling only if you sell-off a position from last year

… and I guess, in regards of taxes, it’s completely irrelevant of how you bought your stocks (?)

1 Like

I think mostly yes. But, there is some worry about being declared a proffesional trader which has tax implications. Using options is a possibl criterium for that.

So you manually add up the dividends then? Or how does that work? Last year, I (canton ZH) entered my (very few) transactions and it then calculated the dividends for me based on when I owned how much.

I always have to type in every buy/sell action in the “Wertschriftenverzeichnis”. I’m in the canton of schwyz though.

… kind of: There is a field “amount as of 31.12” and “amount as of dividend Date”…

there is no way to reflect buy/sell transactions…

canton Bern btw…

2 Likes

I’m just wondering if anyone heard any news about it (VT availability to Swiss customers past 1.1.2022) since August?

4 Likes

I dont think there is anything new. If Ibkr prohibits us from buying us etfs we will have to sell put options or go the accredited investor route (provided we have an enormous bank account)

Or just purchase IE-domicilied ETF despite the fact that they are a bit more expensive.

I can’t quite comprehend the fuss over availability US ETFs as this point.

Sure, the discussion may be interesting from a theoretical or legal point of view (for some). But otherwise? Would it in any way be relevant for investment decisions? And if so, how?

What are you going to do about it anyway, if they indeed weren’t available anymore? If you don’t qualify for professional investor status, there isn’t much you can do about it. Yes, maybe the somewhat complicated route of selling options (though you should understand how they work and the risks involved). If you qualify as a professional investor, you let IBKR upgrade your account status. Both can probably be learnt about and implemented within a week or so.

And (as @Yanikuza said), it’s not as if there’s no alternatives to VT. You can get basically the same thing with an Irish domicile (with only a slight drag due to less favourable tax on U.S. dividends). And it’s available as an accumulating fund to boot.

If they definitively can’t be offered to Swiss based investors anymore on legal grounds, I’ll surely see it on Swissquote / the Yuh app. As long as they’re available there, they’re most probably legal.

Last but not least, I’m invested through Irish funds in indices that have outperformed FTSE Global All Cap over the long term, to (hopefully) more than make up for the small tax advantage.

1 Like