[COFFEE] Gear acquisition syndrome among FIRE people?

I’m an amateur photographer and oftentimes feel this strange urge to buy more equipment: Lenses, backup cameras, filters, batteries, all sorts of stuff. That’s commonly called Gear acquisition syndrome (GAS) and is afaik common in many other fields.

I see people here who seem to almost “collect” accounts at different banks or have more credit cards than they’ll probably ever use. Seems like GAS is a thing with people around here, too?

Personally, I try to keep things simple, but was wondering: How often do you order a financial product just for the fun of it?

1 Like

Never. For testing in a search of better conditions, yes.

1 Like

Actually, I still remember this post by @San_Francisco! :smile:

I try to keep it simple as well, also to make it easier for my wife in the case of my (knock on wood) sudden death. I imagine it will be a nightmare to deal with 10s of institutions regarding finances.

I have a Cumulus credit card, four 3a accounts with VIAC, one 3a account with our cantonal bank, one service account with our cantonal bank and one account with IB.

I rarely try new financial products, only if there are relatively high cost savings compared to my current solution, which was the reason why I recently switched from Swissquote to IB.

1 Like