Case study: 18 month sprint to FI abroad

I would be very interested in your experience with your son once you are FIRED. I was planning a similar way as you did but have stopped that plan because of my kids after I saw how privileged it is to walk on your own to Kindergarten and play outside along with other kids at the age of 4. I worry that this quality time you can barely get anywhere else in the world. Although I still have it in the back of my head for once the kids are older and education gets more important.

Thanks Conquestador! Will def. share experience after we’ve moved. I totally agree that it’d be difficult to find a safer place than CH. Since our family is quite multicultural, what we want for our toddler is to be exposed to different languages and culture from a young age. On top, to get more of our time while still young. And for that I guess we are willing to sacrifice the the freedom for our toddler to be able to roam alone safely outside. It’s all give and take. When we were discussing about moving abroad, we did so many pros and cons discussion of various countries against CH. What we concluded is you can’t have everything so it’s really a matter of priority.

1 Like

You are fully right you can’t have it all. Well Kudos on your decision. I’m somehow jealous that we did not have had the courage to do the same. We are trying to get our boys exposed to a multi cultural environment but at the end this is limited to the weekends even if we are ourselves a multi national family.

I’m not sure of you specific situation but it sounds like you still have plenty of opportunities to move abroad when your kids are older. Maybe that will work out to be better for your family rather than doing that earlier. :wink:

Great post!

I was wondering if we could build a mini knowledge base of a count down bullet point lists which could be customized if there are any country specific things to considered. e.g. FI checklist for Thailand, FI checklist for Malaysia, etc.

I am also tempted to FI to asia, but know so little about the tax implication, etc.

2 Likes

A cash cushion for the first years of retirement can be an excellent hedge against sequence of return risk, assuming you shift into equities after a few years (you will need the higher returns on the long run). This is referred to as equity glide path and Karsten from “early retirement now” has analyzed this in great detail. Just search for his blog and in particular the Safe Withdrawal Series 19 and 20 for this topic.

As you mentioned that you have rental income: there is a part around mortgages also (#21).

Good luck with your plans!

2 Likes

Wow, thanks! Will check it out!

1 Like