Car: Total Cost of Ownership

I think that’s oversimplified. The time might not be lost. Maybe you wanted to go for a little walk/bike ride anyway. Also time in a bus is probably not completely lost as you could read a book. When driving a car you can listen to an audiobook.

1 Like

Sure it is. Naval’s thinking is to be understood in the context of opportunity costs by having your own value in mind, i.e. how much you can earn (not just in money) by not doing a certain activity that might seem like a savings initially.

That’s why I would never clean my house if I could work an extra hour as a freelancer (25chf vs 100chf), or why I never sell clothes for 5chf (tutti or similar) that I would have to picture, add, pack and take to the post, but would rather give them to the red cross (container under my house)

3 Likes

Not really in Switzerland I have the feeling; maybe I exgagerate but I got the feeling with very few exceptions, all cars older than 10 years, or with more than 120k driven are worth CHF 1000 and get exported.

Not exagerated at all. Been there done that with my last car. 10 years is even generous I think in Switzerland, older is the minority …as soon as you reach the residual value you can sell for 1000chf and they export or transition to a taxi (more than insurance will give you if you crash it)

1000% agreed. Even when that decision is to rest, recharge or reward. I would go bonkers to try to save 100chf rather than spend the day with my kids or even like you mentioned, read a book. The value of your time is not only monetary but health. (i.e. I will take a more expensive intercontinental direct flight rather than 1-2 stopovers in a heartbeat…the difference in price would need to be significant not too warrant literally 2x half days lost of my vacation)

I totally agree with what you said after this : “…as you are happy with your choices and accept the tradeoffs…” but I think the best part of this Mustachian forum (not a “frugalist forum”) is not being restricted to a single definition of how to “.…reach financial freedom in order to pursue his/her own aspirations without having to depend on active work to live”.

Being strictly frugal is only one means to accelerate an end which is defined on a ) your personal goals for FIRE b) your current income. Once your savings rate meets your FIRE goals, I personally focus on investing time like @SwissTeslaBull…everyone’s (a) and (b) is unique, but 24hrs in a day for everyone.

(i.e. I’m “frugal” with my car and a lot of other things, but I won’t hesitate to travel and have a separate fund for this budgeted into my FIRE goals…when travel used to be possible that is :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

did anyone made a calculation when it is worth getting a car (vs mobility) ? what would be the criteria for the calculation ? (nb of km per year ? age of the car ? nb of ppl using the car ?) - Could you share, if so ? I have a car, with low occupation rate, and seriously wonder if it would not be more cost effective to sell it and use mobility (or equivalent - I live in Geneva) instead. Thank you !

You could do this calculation yourself and share with us to check it. At best keep the number of km as a parameter. Then you can draw a chart and see at which point ownership becomes cheaper.

1 Like

Thanks. I know I can do it :grinning:
I am not fan of reinventing the wheel. If someone has a methodology/example and can share, that will be highly appreciated.

1 Like