Camper Van (e.g. VW California)

Is any of the VW Camper owners renting it to particular to obtain additional income?
I was thinking to start doing it with friends, but I need to investigate how to make sure the insurece covers in case something happens or something in the inside gets broken or ruined. 100chf / day could be a good deal to cover expenses. Dont you think?
Any experience?

1 Like

For price comparison or an easy way to rent it cf.
https://mycamper.ch/en/rent-out

1 Like

I believe that to be true, at least up until now. I’d be really curious to see how the price of the used/occasion develops now post-covid + diesel getting less and less appealing to folks. Any ideas/speculations?

I don’t have data to back it up, but there has been such a boom now and I believe/hope that there will a a surplus of occasions after this season and a subsequent drop in prices.

100 CHF a day is WAY too low, more like 160-200.
MyCamper takes a 20% cut, insurance costs 20CHF a day, so 100 CHF net a day is OK.
I’m doing this for the last 4 years, the camper is free to us (and brings some net revenue as well) with one caveat that it’s not here in July and August. That’s a fair compromise I think.

What happened now with Covid that the cars that used to sell with a 15-17% discount from list price are now selling out for list price. VW goes $$$$$$.

This will normalize next summer around. Don’t expect and major price drop.

As for Dieselgate, all of them are Euro-6D, so there’s probably a good runway for them until 2030 at least.

1 Like

Thanks @user137! What’s your experience with the people you rent the van? I have always taken good care of it and thinking of renting it makes me a bit nervous :slight_smile: . What model you have and for how much you rent it? How is the insurance provided by myCamper? does it include in case something gets broken in the interior?
Thanks a lot!

1 Like

The customers are super easy and trustworthy (as long as they are Swiss).

The rest of the questions are in the MyCamper FAQ.

Our daily net income is about 100-120 francs a day for a California Ocean.

1 Like

I own Campervans since more than 10years. First a VW T3. I did on this car 2 years ago some significant restoration work and sold it this year.

Now we bought a T4 California with high roof. Love the possibility to stand in the car even with 195cm and our model comes even with a toilet.

For me, there is no better way rh enjoy holidays - usually we dont bother going to a camping, just stay where we like it.

Working with cars is something I enjoy, I can do most of the maintenance work my own, which brings me to this point:

A car comes, simplified, with 3 prices:

1. Purchasing Price
  2. Estimated selling price after x years
  3. Price for keep it running

No 1+2 you can‘t influence. Best way to use a car as low cost as possible is to look out for cheap maintenance.

The newer VW Tx camper are in my opinion expensive and they have the potential to bring sever engine problems, specially T5. Before you buy, make sure to do some research about the exact type of engine.
But sure, selling price for used T4/5/6 are high - question is: how long will this trend hold?

I would suggest to consider other brands e.g. Ford Nugget or Citroen Spacetourer.

With mycamper I wasn‘t satisfied for renting put my T3. They have lots of customer happiness officers employed, but cant tell you the exact terms for their insurance (for oldtimers).

Our T4 we decided not to rent to strangers, we hope to cover insurance and taxes with 2-4 weeks renting to our siblings and friends.

2 Likes

T7 is only a hybrid and is getting a diesel later too.

just buy extended guarantee wich comprises 5 years in total.
if after 5 years the engine is still ok - then no panic.

1 Like

T7 won’t be offered as a Camper for now.

1 Like

Well, i bring this thread back to live since i just saw that (finally) its clear when the new electronic modell of the WV Campevan will be avalable.

As it stands it should have 400-450km range and cost about 60k chf.
Preorder start inMay and shipping in late 22.

1 Like

None of this is a camper, though. it’s a Multivan in T6 Speak.
The California T6.1 is due to stay another 2 years maybe AFAIK.

1 Like

Fantastic thread! do you have any suggestions or tipsto help me to get a T5 or T6 or similar van for a good price?

haha :smiley: no
sorry (no offense) but this is not the bargain hunting niche. to be honest, it never was.

current order backlog is 12+ months for VW, discounts are virtually zero, so you take whatever’s left on the market (which are selling above list price as summer approaches).

Look for Ford Tourneo or other brand instead of t5/6

1 Like

My June-ordered t6.1 supposed to be delivered in march. Now they shift it 4 week ahead.
I needed one without a kitchenette 7 seater to carry my family. But I saw quite a few of oceans on the market with small mileage.
Price isn’t small anyway. That’s why I actually buy VW - they hold price well.
As my X5 btw. I will sell it around 35k when VW arrives. Not bad for a 105k km stand and 7 years of age.

Hey user137,

Thanks very much for de mycamper Business-Idea :wink: What are you doing at the moment with the very long and uncertain vw waiting list? Did you order allready a new bus?
And as you seem to have experience: When is a good time to sell the car (age, km) and buy a new?
I have a 5 year old T6 Beach with only 50’000km, paid 55k for it… When i check comparis see similar cars for 45-50k…

Thanks for your opinion!

1 Like

My statistics for the last 5 years of a new VW T6 Beach

• Buying price 55k

• everage cost over the last 5 years per year 4475.-
    – Insurance from initial 1300.- to now 1050.-
    – parking in the “blue zone” in zurich 365.- (never had problems)
    – Verkehrsabgaben 800.-
    – the rest includes everything from Diesel to maintanance (official vw dealer), tiers, minor damages…

• at the moment i have 50’000km, so we do 10’000km a year, so almost exclusive holiday-car (we go to work with the bikes…)

• total nights in the bus: 241 (except winter all the holidays in the bus)

8 Likes