Best bike lock?

in my 15 years of mostly of bicycle as main way of mobility in zurich, I never had a bike stolen so far.

this includes hiding my bike unlocked between the bike masses at main station during rainy winter nights^^

I know of 2 failed attacks, where if the attacker was skilled would have succeeded.

having an indoor-spot where I generally keep it helps with theft and degrading from weather & rust

my bikes on purpose dont look very shiny, rather dirty. I bought them for no more than CHF 400 exactly for the theft problem.

2 Likes

I keep my bike dirty. I never wash it. This helps to avoid some people who steal bikes. And a lock which strength is in a certain equlibrium with the value of the bike.

2 Likes

I’ve lived for years in cities where bike theft is rampant and the police couldn’t care less because it isn’t a car (aka North America)

I’ve never had my bike stolen following sheldon brown’s advice: Lock Strategy

Basically, get a kryptonite grey or orange ULock, lock your bike through the rear triangle and the back wheel to something that is solidly attached to the ground or a building and you’re golden. The only thing a thief can take then is your seat (you can use a chain to secure it or anti theft bolts), your front wheel (cheaper than the back wheel to replace but can be secured with a cable). But realistically, they’ll steal the poorly locked bike next to yours I stead because yours will be too much work to steal.

4 Likes