Best bank cards 2023

If I remember correctly, it’s often possible to use a different card for the hold/deposit and for the actual rental payment. I.e. you may be able to use a credit card with less favorable fees for the hold and a debit card for the rental payment. I haven’t tried this, though, so I may be mistaken.

This was possible for me multiple times, in Europe.
Swiss credit card used for reservation-making and deposit-hold at time of collecting rental.
Then used DKB euro debit card to actually pay the rental on return at the rental car office at xyz airport (I use Transferwise to get my CHF to EUR @ DKB). Credit card didn’t actually see any movement.

1 Like

I am using any credit card for the booking at the beginning of the car rental.
I will ask to pay with Wise or Revolut at the end of the trip.
You can swap card for the payment.

Which Swiss credit card can you use to get rental car insurance? I don’t think the Swisscard cashback cards have it for example.

Mostly the Gold and Platinum have such insurances.

I don’t think that’s what was referred to above.
The above was about sometimes not being able to use the “prepaid” credit cards (like Revolut/Wise) for certain cases - like renting a car - that need high/unlimited drawdown (for insurance purposes).

1 Like

Sure, this was just a related question.

I have not found a better option than book the full insurance from the car rental especially in the US. Its about 200% the cost of the car rental for a duration of 7 days.

I used our Credit Card to book the rental car.
When returning the car, I ask to pay with a debit card such as Revolut or Wise to optimise the exchange rate.

Maybe I misunderstood you, but the full insurance option from the car rental companies has been labelled for years in my brain as a scam.