Best bank cards 2023

TfL will not calculate your fare immediately after each journey. They will apply daily and weekly capping of fares and only charge you the correct amount for every day.

Not sure about the exact specifics of that system, but they are not charging each journey separately and then (possibly) doing a ton of refund transactions - they will actually „wait“ until definitely charging the correct amount.

Edit: I used my Wise card in London and it worked flawlessly, mostly over contactless. I think one transaction attempt got declined - but I think I must have run into the contactless limit (for consecutive non-PIN transactions) there. In which case you shouldn’t be surprised that you have to insert the physical chip card into the reader - rather than being prompted for PIN - due to the way most UK readers check PIN numbers for transactions.

2 Likes

Yes, but I was using TfL extensively on Saturday, no updates so far - I wonder how long it takes them to calculate it.

OK, so Wise seems to be good candidate for Revolut replacement then ;). For me it was not only TfL where it was working/not working randomly, but also vending machine at the airport etc.

I can’t relate to that statement. I am using Revolut extensively and it is working flawless for me, even in India. Sometimes I already had the notification on the phone before the terminal even said that the payment is accepted.

The only problem I had is when they do not accept international cards (i.e. non-Indian cards), but that is nothing Revolut can change.

Could your delayed notifications be the consequence of a bad internet connection ? (or something similar ? Like data savings mode on ?)

1 Like

Not really, I had good mobile connection all the time. The problem was not only the notifications - on my transactions list I saw only 1.5 GBP, even yesterday when I was already on WIFI. But I checked today and it seems it was already (not sure when) updated to 8.3 GBP (I guess daily cap).

Did you check your travel history with TfL? 7 day travel history can be checked online even without registering an account.

PS: They also happened to update (increase) their fares on 5 March, so maybe not the best weekend to verify how immediately they’re booking.

It wouldn’t explain other failed transactions with the card though.

2 Likes

Yes, very good point! :grin:

I think with the overall fruitfull discussion I will opt for Wise card to make international purchases. Now I have to think about the best bank within Switzerland for my main card. As I don’t want to keep with BCF (Banque Cantonale de Fribourg) living in Olten, do you have any recommendation? I actually would like to keep my debit mastercard option, but I’m also willing to go for a credit card. I would need to do my research but your opinion is always valuable :smiley:

If you want to have your credit card from the same bank as your bank account: Choose the high street you like most and that is nearest to you. Could be a cantonal bank, Raiffeisen, Postfinance, even UBS or Credit Suisse.

If you want to maximise Cashback domestically, you may want to look into Swisscard’s Cashback Cards duo. I also like the IKEA Mastercard for its cashback and insurances (and it’s a Mastercard, not the less accepted AMEX).

Otherwise, I still stand by my recommendation of the Migros Cumulus credit card as probably the single best all-around card for Swiss consumers.

Irrespective of any cashback or miles/points, I like to have and recommend…

• at least two credit cards when travelling abroad, for off-the-grid, rental and hotel use
  • at least one card allowing cheap transactions abroad or in foreign currency (could be a debit card)
  • one card allowing for cheap cash withdrawals, in Switzerland and abroad
  • one card “for the beach”, nightlife or more dubious online shops, that doesn’t get a big headache even when compromised (stolen and my code spied out)

:point_right: …and the Migros Cumulus Visa - while I suspect it won’t have the best FX rates - covers the first three reasonably well - in just one card. Without annual fee.

6 Likes

I second this !

Best setup (for me)

• Migros Cumulus Credit Card (for daily use and for cash withdrawal at Migros and/or Denner).
  • Raiffeisen (private and savings accounts; without Debit Card, only bank card for cash withdrawal/deposit)
  • Wise for everything else (one-time cash withdrawals in Switzerland, use abroad, virtual card for one-time purchases on the Internet).

It is (for me) the most flexible no-cost setup.

How do you handle e.g. car rentals (abroad)?

I will first try with the WISE card and if it is not accepted, the Migros Cumulus. Same for hotel abroad.

If I remember correctly, it’s often possible to use a different card for the hold/deposit and for the actual rental payment. I.e. you may be able to use a credit card with less favorable fees for the hold and a debit card for the rental payment. I haven’t tried this, though, so I may be mistaken.

This was possible for me multiple times, in Europe.
Swiss credit card used for reservation-making and deposit-hold at time of collecting rental.
Then used DKB euro debit card to actually pay the rental on return at the rental car office at xyz airport (I use Transferwise to get my CHF to EUR @ DKB). Credit card didn’t actually see any movement.

1 Like

I am using any credit card for the booking at the beginning of the car rental.
I will ask to pay with Wise or Revolut at the end of the trip.
You can swap card for the payment.

Which Swiss credit card can you use to get rental car insurance? I don’t think the Swisscard cashback cards have it for example.

Mostly the Gold and Platinum have such insurances.

I don’t think that’s what was referred to above.
The above was about sometimes not being able to use the “prepaid” credit cards (like Revolut/Wise) for certain cases - like renting a car - that need high/unlimited drawdown (for insurance purposes).

1 Like

Sure, this was just a related question.

I have not found a better option than book the full insurance from the car rental especially in the US. Its about 200% the cost of the car rental for a duration of 7 days.

I used our Credit Card to book the rental car.
When returning the car, I ask to pay with a debit card such as Revolut or Wise to optimise the exchange rate.

Maybe I misunderstood you, but the full insurance option from the car rental companies has been labelled for years in my brain as a scam.