Alternative to IB / more user-friendly

I am really confused about their pricing to be honest…

Let’s say I trade 5 days a month, and each of these days I make 10x full trades (10 buy, 10 sell). Let’s say only in the US stock market, 50 stocks@$100, total $5000 per trade.

Then should I get the tiered or the fixed plan? How much would it cost?

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=1590&p=stocks

Heheh, yes, this is where I am confused :sweat_smile:. For fixed pricing it is easy:
It is 20 chf/trading day which means 100 chf/month (this is a lot!!)

So the question was more, if the tiered pricing is any cheaper for my case!

But from what it seems, the tiered pricing makes sense when you trade like 300000 shares each time, not 50 :stuck_out_tongue:

There is a correlation between the frequency of trading and the return. Someone who trades more will very likely have a worse outcome than someone who trades less.

Yes, we know that 95% of day-traders fail :). The rest make all the money ;). But it is not about the frequency, it is about the skill and the strategy.

It’s probably less than 5% that beat the market over a longer period of time, even less of them achieve that with skill. But most daytraders believe that they are better than the average investor

1 Like

But sometimes it works :slight_smile:

Example: how to make 100chf in less than 6 minutes :grin::grin::grin:
Now if I were using Ameritrade (think or swim) and not degiro + yahoo, things would have been much safer…

So that’s 0.35 cts (min per order) per trade of commission, x20 x5, that’s 35 USD per month. Other fees are negligible usually (or in your favor if you’re adding liquidity).

1 Like

But what’s your cumulative record?

5 Likes

OMG… that remembers me 15 years ago when I won 2000 Euros in 10 minutes in a movement of the pair EUR/USD in Forex… was the first account I opened in my life and 2 days later I got the jackpot…

The worst day in my investor’s life… :unamused:

1 Like

Around 0 I am afraid :confused: but i didn’t have time to do it seriously yet…

There is a lot of evidence that you won’t be able to do much better than a 0, stock prices move randomly.

By investing in single stocks for a short time you take on uncompensated risk. By selling within short periods of time, you scale volatility risk by a lot.

The common advice here is to invest in low cost index fund, they will perform quite well over longer periods of time.

1 Like

There are also other ways though. That aren’t short-term gambling or long-term indexing.

Also, most people would fail (including me). But Buffet does exist, as do people like him.

Ray Dalio and James Simons. These people are very rare.

You only read about a couple of very successful investors, but not about the millions who lost money.

1 Like

Buffet doesn’t do daytrading. His performance over the past 10 years was also below the market. There is also renaissance technology that hires the best of the best PhDs in Math, Statistics and so on. Somehow they managed to perform really well for 30 years.

2 Likes

How do you transfer USD to Ameritrade? I am using it for almost 4 years now. I used to do an ACH transfer using Revolut in the past but since 2020 they do not accept this transfer anymore. If i wire to their account with National Bank of Omaha, the money gets refunded too.
Happy to hear your solution.

Hi Jomo,

3 methods tried and working last past month.

1. The best: (I did yesterday) From UBS I send CHF to IB. I exchange them for USD paying only 2$ in commission. After I do a ACH from IB to TD. Next business day the dollars are in TD.
  2. Using Revolut: I exchange the money (CHF->USD) in Revolut. I send a wire from Revolut to: US, My complete name, my TD account: 686XXXXXX and the Routing Number: 021912915. Money is in TD 1 or 2 days later.
  3. Using Transferwise. The same data as Revolut. Better for big quantities. Only thing is you pay a fee for the changing and the sending.
  1. I will try this option. Do you have all your funds with Ameritrade? In that case: Are you paying the inactivity fee with IB?

2. This option worked fine for me until beginning of January. Since then all ACH wires to TD Bank get refunded. Have you tried an amount above $1k? (A small 5$ test went through though). The Ameritrade support told me that they are generally not accepting wires from non bank entities such as Revolut.

No, I took TD to split all between IB and TD. IB is very good for transfers, CHF, etc. And TD is cheap for buying (free), better interface, etc. Also, to mention that I got 600$ cash as welcome gift from TD. A nice gift for opening an account with them !!!

Screenshot from TD. Is true that is from last past year but worked perfectly…

The only thing that I didn’t manage to do by ACH, etc… was withdrawing money from TD to IB, Revolut or TW… I mean free… The small quantities link to my TW account didn’t worked and IB doesn’t provide you with a “standard” account/routing numbers… So, if you want to withdraw money you must pay 25 USD. I need to try the ACAT transfer system from TD to IB. From IB to TD worked well but I didn’t try the other way.

You’re lucky it’s zero. There was one guy in this forum who shared his story how he zeroed all his accounts, lost all his savings on day trading. I’ve met many such people in my life - they usually start with forex which is even more risky than stock picking.