Altcoins & Where to buy them

Congrats! That’s what they call good timing! I have a similar strategy to buy and forget but your investment became significant! Are you going to hold or cash out?

My timing was bad. I bought when btc was for 10k and over the following months it dropped under 4k. I originally wanted to invest when it was for 1k…

That’s what most people feel now, including me :slight_smile:

Are you going to cash it out to the “real” economy? That’s a very burning question!

I think not. I’m comfortable with having 5-10% as crypto. When it goes to 25% of my portfolio, I will have a bigger headache.

While they aren’t exactly cheap and you do have to watch out for the exchange rate (in addition to their commission), I was very impressed with Coinbase upon opening an account:

• Very straightforward process (though I managed to enter my birthday wrong) and user interface
  • Verification of my Identity document was very fast (they declined my residence permit but accepted passport) - within a few minutes.
  • Their system caught me out on the wrong birthdate and prompted me to change it - yet instantly accepted the correct date according to my passport and let me log in to a verified account. No need to go through customer support.
  • Top-up by SEPA Instant Credit Transfer was instantaneous. I transferred from my bank account to their and received their top-up confirmation within literally seconds.
  • …and finally was able to buy.

Virtually flawless, from a user experience standpoint (even though I introduced two potential hiccups)

1 Like

Regarding altcoins, I’ve been thinking about privacy for a long time, and then I stumbled upon this rant, which sums it up nicely:

In short, Bitcoin and Ethereum are not truly private. The most popular truly private option is Monero. Now think about it: when push comes to shove, will people want to hold a crypto currency, which ownership thereof can be traced back to them? The allure of physical gold is that you can just hide it and nobody will know you have it. This is not true for Bitcoin.

1 Like

I’m using Coinbase aswell. All in ETH right now.

1 Like

I use Binance and Coinbase. If you really want to be early, use UNISWAP or Pancackeswap. I 20x my crypto-play-money holdings in the last two months…

How do you transfer your money to Binance? Do you go through Swissquote? or do you buy cryptos there directly with your credit card?

I moved EUR from PostFinance directly to Binance (Revolut is also possible)

Crypto using CC comes with high(er) fees

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply! But do you have a Postfinance account in EUR then?
I don’t know what happens if I send money from my Credit suisse account that is in CHF, to Binance. Do you?

I sent EUR from my CHF account which was converted by PF. It was not a huge amount…

1 Like

I loaded my Binance with my CC years ago with some play money. Since then, no additional fiat payments. Bought some BTC with my father few weeks ago on Coinbase. He first tried his Cashback CC, got denied. After a phonecall he knew that Cashback isn’t supporting crypto services. Then he funded his Coinbase Account through SEPA Payment with PostFinance E-Banking. Worked great and fast, the next day the money arrived in Coinbase.

There is no reason to transfer money to Binance. Use Kraken instead for deposit and withdrawals especially with CHF. From Kraken you can move cryptos around e.g. as Monero with very low fees. Binance is useful in special cases like moving MATIC on Polygon network to MetaMask etc.

1 Like

What if I have some BNB on Binance? What is the cheapest/fastest way to withdraw that to CHF bank or Revolut? AFAIK neither of these banks are supported by Binance.

I’d convert it to XRP or ADA then transfer it to Kraken… and pay it out… but it depends on how much BNB you have.