Advice for my Mom

Any advice to invest 300k for my mom? She is 80 and will need the money in next 2-5 years I would say.

The local bank she has offers a set of funds but all are very small and TER = 1.6%… I would anyway split the money (different institutions).

Thanks
P.

Don’t invest in the stock market if the money will be needed in the next 2-5 years. I would suggest only investing in the stock market if the time horizon is 10+ years.

6 Likes

Saving account + a bit Kassenobligationen.

5 Likes

Coop Depositenkasse

1 Like

I am not sure if depository protection works with them.

1 Like

This is one of those situation that you should be more worried for everything else, I think.

1 Like

Are there any other big Swiss companies offering a similar solution?

I can add Raiffeisen shares.

1 Like

The best 2-year medium-term notes (Kassenobligationen) now pay 0.7% per annum. 3-year notes are now at 1.2 percent annual interest.

Alterantively, WIR Bank’s shareholder savings account pays the most interest right now, but you have to buy some shares in the bank.

Investing in stocks for that short term is risky. Government bonds may be worth looking at. Two-year US treasury bonds are now at 3.01% interest.

Be careful with Kassenobligationen. CIC today just offered me 1.25% for 5 years / 0.75% for 2 years. Looks like there was a lot of change and the aggregator homepages may be outdated with real time changes.

1 Like

Yes, that’s happening with Daniel’s site as well. 2y is still at 0.3.
@Daniel, you are watching the intrantet’s version :smiley:

Side note: You are pushing a lot of your company’s links. I wonder if that should be moderated, even if most of the time they are very useful links. Just thinking out loud.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. Will lay off the links.

As for medium-term notes, at the current time when interest rates are constantly changing, checking what you bank is offering is definitely a good idea, as not all banks openly publish their rates online, and comparisons don’t include all 240+ banks.

:roll_eyes: Of course not. I don’t know where that block warden mentality comes from but the links are always related to the topic, the posts and the content are always of good quality, it’s not just spamming useless sales stuff. Other people post their personal blogs so I don’t see why he shouldn’t be allowed to post his own posts or whatever posts that may be helpful to answer a specific question or are topic related.

1 Like

The answers of @Daniel are always very helpful and links are useful. If not your comment, I wouldn’t even think about his relation to the website.

4 Likes