3rd pillar investment solution from VIAC

So after everyone got to look at the available options, I am now interested in which kind of portfolios you guys made, or are thinking of doing?

I went for 5 portfolios (to maximise tax advantages later down the road), which are all quite similar, but not the same. For instance one portfolio has 6% swiss real estate. I want to monitor how each portfolio does individually, instead of using the same portfolio 5x. I might change this later down the road though.

Breaking down everything, I land at something like this:

34.5% SPI Extra (swiss mid & small cap)
1,5% SMI
34% World exCH
14% Small Cap World exCH
12% EM
1% swiss real estate
3% cash

The indicies used are the MSCI ones, where South Korea is classified as EM. For this reason I am thinking of increasing my EM exposure here.

What do you guys think?

I have currently something very similar (1 or 2%) max.

Before the next rebalancing I am however thinking to make some modifications.

I see that no onw speaks About global 80 which is nicely diversified and contains REIT and Gold. I usually do not read About People considering REIT. Is there any specific reason to it?

The last time I checked the pre-made global portfolios contained a “complicated” mix of EU, US, Pacific ex Japan, Japan etc. IMO unnecessary so i went with the world fund / EM / SC.

I’m not too sure about REITs, I think I will be eliminating them from my portfolio in favor of stocks. The only reason I added them here is because I wanted to use them a bit for the required swiss allocation. I won’t however consider international REITs.

As for gold, further up it was mentioned that it was pretty expensive at VIAC, I’m guessing TER?, so if you want gold you should buy it outside of pillar 3a.

Yes true, I saw this earlier but since I was confused I contacted VIAC. They confirmed that the fund TER is included in the total TER. Hence I do not really understand the “expensive” part. Is it because this specific fund does not distribute dividend?

Also I am interested to get more opinions against REIT. Is it because you are not convinced to hold it long term vs: stock ETFs?

Hello to everyone form this forum lurker here.

@nugget Since I can’t seem to find a way to PM you directly, I wanted to ask if you already opened your VIAC account. If you have, could you send me an invite code? It would take off any administrative fees on CHF 500 for each of us. This is mentioned in those articles:

Helix there is a thread specifically for referrals :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, post #169 by _name. I missed that, sorry…
But I can add something possibly useful (didn’t see it anywhere else) :
The referral code is entered at the end of the whole registration process. That means after uploading your passport picture and signing.

In contrast to the reply above, VIAC offers the iShares Core S&P 500 (TER 0.07) in their Global 100 portfolio. I noticed that most forum users here choose the CSIF World (TER 0.00) and not the iShares Core S&P 500 for their individual strategies. Why is that? The change in TER, portfolio turnover, etc. Are there big differences between them?

I am new on this forum and it has been very helpful to find out about VIAC. Also opened an account with them.

Hi everyone, I found the forum while searching for VIAC information or references, very useful!
I only have basic knowledge about investing and I liked VIAC transparency and recommendations according to the risk you’re willing to take. I already compared to other 3a products and I’m about to open an account. However I see that YTD all the strategies have negative yield… but I haven’t been able to compare to other products from banks because I didn’t find historical data in their websites, does anyone have any of these references? Do you feel comfortabke sending your money now with this negative trend? I’m sorry if my questions are too basic…

Invest regularly at low cost and for the long term - and the trend is your friend. Viac is currently the best 3a offering by far.

since we don’t talk about a savings account, this frequently happens as you neet to take risk (=volatile assets) in order to have a high probability of long term returns. As samuck says,

you can consider the lower prices now as a discount, best time to get invested! but be sure to read a bit on risk tolerance and such, because noone can promise you that those prices fall off 50% within the next year.

Hi guys

I am planning on opening up a Viac account with five relationship for my 3. Säule. This is the mix I have in mind, what can I improve?

• 35% CSIF SPI Extra (Swiss Small & Mid Caps)
  • 15% CSF SMI (Swiss Large Caps)
  • 35% iShares Core S&P 500
  • 12% CSIF World ex CH Small Cap
  • 3% Cash

What do you think?

improve in what sense?

maybe if you tell us why you picked what you picked, then we can tell what you could do further towards your original goal

for example if your objective had been to stay as close as possible to a certain benchmark like MSCI World or VT, while minimizing fees and observing regulatory constraints, then there’s clearly some things we could change here to fit that goal better. but as you don’t say what your goal is, it’s hard to make specific recommendation

2 Likes

Too much home bias. I’d recommend their world market capitalization portfolio - Global 100.

I’d also be interested in an answer to that question.

I’ve opened a VIAC account this year, so far with just a single Global 100 portfolio. I want to open a second portfolio next year, and I’m wondering if it’s worth it to pick your own mix. Can you push your fees below the 0.53 for the global 100 portfolio if you simplify or pick the right ETFs while maintaining a 97% stocks ratio? If so, what’s the lowest you can go?

1 Like

It seems that 0.5% is ‘effektive verwaltungsgebühr’ which seems to be calculated by the percentage of stocks. Only 0.03% are ‘externe produktkosten’

Thank you hedgehog.

• I picked the CSIF SPI Extra (Swiss Small & Mid Caps) because the SMI depends too heavily on the industry giants Nestle, Roche and Novartis.

• I picked the SMI to have some coverage of the Swiss Large Caps

• I picked the iShares Core S&P 500 because the US economy is still one of the biggest and most innovative ones.

• I picked the 12% CSIF World ex CH Small Cap to have international exposure besides the US and CH. I chose this one over others like the European index because the EU is heaviliy overregulated which will hinder growth.

My goal is to minimize fees and invest in indexes of countries that have promising economical growth and support innovation.

What would you improve?

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Thank you for your insights. Personally I would look to have no more than the required 40% in swiss equities/cash. Reason being you want more international diversification.

did anybody put some thought into why credit suisse seemingly offers VIAC to use it’s index funds for zero TER? doesn’t this sound like the for-free financial service that has the costs hidden somewhere else?

I think what you write is false. CS does NOT offer them to VIAC for free. VIAC offers them for “free” to you, and VIAC pays CS with a part of the 0.50% annual fee that you pay to VIAC.