2nd Pillar - vested benefit account

Btw last time I looked it’s actually more complicated. You have to notify, but it doesn’t mean it all have to be transferred.

IIRC technically you can’t leave gaps in the mandatory coverage, but if you have contributed well over that (which is the case for some of us), my impression is that you don’t have to transfer it. (Hence the 1/3, 2/3 split that’s usually recommended).

You are allowed to, if you split it between vested benefits accounts with different institutions.
Arbitrarily splitting a part off when transferring to a new pension fund however looks “fishy” (though there may be a maximum amount the new fund can “import”).

Well, it’s not like you’re going to jail, is it?

Why should you pay more taxes in the second case?

Before money transfer to new PF I would check first with current PF how long you can keep money with them before they are obliged to make the transfer to a vested benefit account. I transfer money to the new PF after I settle at new job.

You are allowed to transfer to two separate vested benefits foundations. The reason for this is that, assuming you do not become employed in Switzerland again, you can withdraw your benefits in two chunks in two different years. This lets you avoid excessive tax brackets.

As far as I know, it is not possible to split benefits between a (new) pension fund and a vested benefits foundation when leaving your old pension fund. Most likely, the person in question had their old pension fund transfer to two vested benefits foundations, and then transferred the benefits from just one of these to their new pension fund.

4 Likes

Six months (though they may take up to two years to transfer it, most pension funds will get rid of the funds after six months and transfer to Auffangeinrichtung without being instructed by the insured).

You have to transfer your 2nd pillar money to the new pension fund, at least the mandatory part. It is often advertised to not do it an put it in a veated benefit account, but it is a grey area and I don’t think it’s appropriate to ask about such practices here.

Contrary to some assertions made earlier, you can not choose to only transfer the mandatory part.

1 Like

Thanks, didn’t know that. Fixed my post.

You can only transfer amounts in up to the maximum buy-in defined by your pension fund (which will be higher than the sum of the mandatory “minimum” contributions in the pension plan).

Not trying to revive too many old streams but I have some specific questions that I’m trying to post in the existing threads: is pension splitting possible between a new PF and a vested account when you work 80% indépendantly and 20% dependantly? Ie. A split 80:20?

If you’re employed only 20% and thus, have a relatively small insured salary, it’s possible that the pension fund doesn’t accept your full pension capital and in that case you even have to move the rest to a vested benefits account. However, you’d have to check with that particular pension fund.

2 Likes

Thanks! Didn’t think of it in that way but you are right! My concern was more that they’d want it all transferred :sweat_smile: