140K to invest in marquets: which ETFs?

Thank you for your answer. You are right, I edited the text.

1 Like

Lump sum investment should statistically be better but feel confident on your choice.
You could spread it over 6 -12months and invest 10-20 kchf monthly.
The idea is to keep your investment and not sale even if there is a -50% krash coming next month.

Rule of thumb:

If you’re asking the question, it’s (probably) a yes.

There’s a thread and enough posts about how, statistically, lump-sum investing would have yielded a better result over the long term with >50% probability. But it may not conform to your personal risk tolerance.

6 Likes

I wonder if you are being too hard on yourself. Was that really a mistake or just the benefit of hindsight?

From the comments you deleted you analysed the numbers and couldn’t make them stack up which means you made a rational investment decision.

Propoerty prices go up even if they are not supported by rental yields. But in my opinion purchasing a rental property in such a market is speculation not investment.

1 Like

I’ve read your original post and I’d say take those 120k and fulfil some dream of yours, go on an adventure, ask yourself what you want w/o pleasing others or thinking about money.

And when you’re back from the journey of healing you should stop that 150 CHF fund and take the free money and invest it in VT every month (make it 2k per month and leave some room for pleasure, e.g. one trip to some city you’ve wanted to see like Zermatt)

6 Likes

At my best I am quite confortable with losses. That’s where I am with crypto and I am not selling. Thank you.

Thank you. I have to decide but I think I will probably divide in around 6 months. I’ll try to find more info on those statistics.

Thank you for your comment. Yes I did quite a lot of calculations, and yes, the apartments and their rent can pay themselves but not much more. Than I could never decide if I wanted to put in the minimum required or all I could. On one side, I disliked the idea of having huge debts with banks and on the other I was thinking, why should I put all my savings on something that is not making me any income. Obviously there is the appreciation of the apartment but still… The only scenario that it sort of made sense was a 3 bedroom (no less) apartment near university rented out to students and paying taxes for only one of the rooms…. Not great.

Thank you for your comment. I hope to do something like that soon. I really do. I know there is the danger of continuous postponing but I’ll try to make it out there soon. I would like to experience bike touring. That is something I am not sure I will like but I have been dreaming about for years. Yesterday night I launched my e_commerce projet. I hope that it can bring me some income apart from my work. That would make me feel happier I think, and from them I hope I will enjoy life more. Thank you again.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your story.

All others already what is recommended on the investment side:

• invest in VT
  • spread it over 6 / 12 / 18 months whatever makes you comfortable (as others said, statically it’s better to lump in but ehi you need balls, so ok to spread it over time)

On the emotional side.

• the journey is as important (if not higher) as the destination
  • live below your means but don’t neglect yourself, your mental and general health worth more than your money

I have a friend. Started from zero and built 20m portfolio among various businesses. Worked as dog, never went to a hotel for holiday, just his holiday home in summer, 1 cigarette and a shot of liquor a day, only after dinner. 1 year left to retirement and to pay all outstanding debt. few days later got diagnosed with cancer, died 6 months before he could enjoyed life (in his terms).

My strategy:

-50% VT to capture the market
-30% XDEM (to overweight shares wirh momentum, historically best performing strategy)
-20% EMXC by Lyxor (to increase emerging markets share to 30%)

But for s lump sum would go in in 4 parts over 1 year - better for your nerves - and then stay invested forever

Nice portfolio with about 75% DM and 25% EM.
But why exclude China with EMXC?

It‘s a subjective thing, but I on purpose want to underweight China in the EM part of my portfolio for several reasons:

• huge demographic challenges on the horizon
  • limited trust in the political structures of China
  • small risk that foreign investors might be subject to further investment limitations in China in the future

I just dont want China to be over 10% of my asset allocation - therefore this slight nudge to a pure capital weighted allocation.

1 Like

With a normal EM IMI ETF instead of the Luxor, you would only have a total of 7.75% China in your portfolio. :wink:
50% VT x 3.5% China = 1.75%
20% EM IMI x 30% China = 6%

It’s obviously up to you to decide, I’m just always curious for what reason people tilt towards a certain allocation. :slight_smile: :+1:

Yeah, I know (+ Hongkong 0.79%), so it would be around 8.15% — too much China for my taste :wink:

Thank you for you comment. I am sorry to hear about your friend. Yes stories like that seem to be frequent unfortunately. I will rethink a lot of stuff in the next couple of months.
I guess you would agree that going all in VTI is too risky?

1 Like

Thank you. I will check the two last ones. Not familiar with those. I appreciate it.

I’d love to hear more about that, feel free to share here or in a PM.

47…
How confident you are about markets going up?
I’m 42. I invest not for me but my little children.
I should have invested into some dividends etfs in my age, but I’m struggling to get a permanent job and want a mortgage which is not possible.

No one can be sure of anything. I guess if we spread our investments, meaning going for a diversified portfolio, under “normal” circumstances , the world economy will grow over the years…
(I was so off the day i wrote this post, I noticed later I misspelled Markets…)