Does the 4% SWR work for Switzerland?

Hello,
old post but interesting thematic of price versus performance index.
The SMI is a price index while the S&P500 is a performance index which includes the dividends.
Wrong the S&P500 is a price index too but probably the dividend policy is different in the tech companies oriented in growth than in cash flow.
You have to make a plot of the total return (TR).

The plot is valid since January 2003 and we see that the SMI TR (SMIC) is quite equivalent to the S&P500 (SPX). With one difference the S&P500 is expressed in a monetary unit which dropped 30% in value since January 2003.

1 Like

As other people said, this is very wrong, as it does not include dividends.

You can use this page to calculate the return.

So in our case, $100 invested in 1970 becomes $12’700 in 2018. That’s a 10.6% annual return, measured in USD.
Now, if we invested 100 CHF in 1970, today we would have 12’700/4.3 = 2’950 CHF. That’s an annual return of 7.3%, measured in CHF.

To me that’s still a nice return (although still nominal, not counting inflation). I think in a very long term, inflation and exchange rates should cancel each other out.

1 Like

US shares are a damn powerful thing.:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

For those nearing (or on) FIRE - I just read a nice analysis by the Big ERN on sequence risk.

Just read through the whole thing.

I think the main way to reduce risk is to find some fun stuff to do which can be monetarized.

Noone says you just have to stop to work forever
 (except some early retirement police as MMM would put it). Just earn some 10-20k on the side, by being a guide for hiking, do some woodwork, giving classes
 Whatever. Easy enough to do, no need for a lot of capital and still fun and a way to meet people.

5 Likes

10-20k is a lot. Either you work a lot or you work on a highly paid job.

1 Like

I guess it’s 10-20k per year
that would already cover a good portion of the recurring expenses.

yes but it’s still a lot of money. What kind of side job will pay that if you don’t work 40h/w?

Working twice a week behind a bar might do it.

Quick back of the envelope:

• 6h/night @ 20CHF/h = 120CHF/night [20 could be a big underestimate]
  • 8 nights plus some tips
  • enough to get to 1000CHF/month

I’ve done the math for the hiking guide thing and it would roughly amount to a 15-30% occupation once the business is working and you have a set of recurring clients doing advertising for you (which takes time and dedication). What I mean by that is you guys should absolutely not pursue that option and I’m not at all having it in my visor right now. Trust me, the competition is fierce, you’d never make it.

1 Like

Well Ok. It is not a full time job but it’s not even a simple hobby-job.

I was just throwing in some stuff :
I guess mostly it is about resilience and early reaction. The 4% rule is based on the fact that someone will spend the same amount of money forever and not earn a single buck on the side :

1. You can reduce your budget for a short time to smooth ot a crash.
  2. Acually a lot of studies shows that you need less money once you are working, since a/ you have more time to do stuff yourself b/ you have some expenses incurred by your job (transportation, fancy suit etc.)
  3. You can restart temporarily to work. The hiking guide was just thrown in. As a waiter you can make about 25 CHF/h (brutto, no tips). That is something between 40 and 50k per y. Better you do a fun job pretty early on, to keep a positive savings rate (portfolio + fun job means your nest egg is still rising).

You are not supposed to wait until the money is away before correcting the course, and then it should be not too difficult. (The Ben guy from Canada on youtube showed a video that with a variable retirement budget, 5-7% is actually pretty good).

My approach : get to the 4% rule, take a sabbatical or quit (most of us guys are highly employable) and then lets see where it takes us from there

2 Likes

I agree about the side job, that’s why I am writing software on the side, for now without luck :slight_smile:

I think it would be nice to have some kind of list of possible side jobs here in Switzerland. I think there aren’t many possibilities to be honest. I am not even mother tongue english so I can’t even teach it.

2 Likes

Let’s start a thread with Mustachians Side Hustles

Edit: https://theminoritymindset.com/blog/113-ways-to-make-extra-money/

Found a surprising chart at ERN’s blog

What difference does/could an (initial) 0.1% withdrawal rate delta make :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@dbu interesting chart

If you retire very early 30-45,

• It’s quite likely that your hobby will make some money if you want to
  • You can always find a job, part-time, low skill, etc or simply ask for a lower salary than the market

In the end, so many (good or bad) things can happen, so you need to adapt

2 Likes

Yes, it is an interesting thought experiment and illustrates how small differences compound over long durations. When I first saw it on his blog I thought it would be quite an achievement to strictly stick to such a precise SWR over 50 years. Probably only realistic if bank transfers are automated from e.g. IB to a CH current account, where you’re limiting yourself to only spend from the current account?

I wanted to look into flexible spending models since some time, but never got round to it. It is one thing to say that we’ll spend a bit less if stocks are low, but there’s probably a flip-side of the coin where we start seeing ourselves as investment heroes and slip towards higher spending.

I suspect without constraining spending somewhow and be a bit clever about it, such charts become about as good as a Covid-19 prediction model where talking about predictions changes the predictions
 Still useful to discuss underlying mechanics, but not strong predictors of the future.

Thanks for the great link. I find the analysis of failure rates vs CAPE very helpful.

Summary: if you RE with 4% SWR when CAPE is >20 (ie now) history suggests there would be a 20% chance of failure. If CAPE <20 only 2% failure rate.

Historical data says 3% SWR rate has 0 chance of failure under any scenario.

In conclusion I feel reassured with my <3% plan

2 Likes

The actual asset allocation of the portfolio probably also plays such a sensitive role and, the past not being a representation of the future, it’s impossible to assess what changes could come up in the next 30-60 years that could make an allocation better than another.

What I don’t like with the 4% SWR is its non-flexibility. I’d rather withdraw less (I like the 3% @Barto uses) and reassess after some time (10+ years) to see if it would make sense to reset my sequence by readjusting the withdrawals to 3% of my current assets. I don’t want to go broke but wouldn’t see a purpose to dying with trillions in the bank either. Doing so could tell me if it’s time to cut my spendings (until a further reassessment) or if I could allocate more to leisures/giving (either to family or charities)/sharing.

3 Likes

I agree. Match a very safe withdrawal rate (VSWR?) with a reasonably frugal lifestyle, which then can develop to higher spending if things go well. It should just be somewhat constrained, waiting 10 years in a bull market would take some discipline.